I feel as if I am reading a school book report, except this time it’s tons of fun. Our pals over at All Culinary School submitted this fun graphic explaining the History Of Cupcakes. It is a simple way to understand how cupcakes have started and popularized over the years. Cupcakes truly have become an overnight dessert sensation. Sorry the image is so small. If you click over to the link I have included, you can see a larger version of this photo. After reading all these fun facts, I made a list of my favorites facts about cupcakes.
Fun Facts About Cupcakes
- In the 1700’s, Cupcakes were originally referred to as number cakes.
- The first cupcake recipe was invented in 1776. It was a light cake that was baked in small cups.
- The second cupcake recipe was invented in 1871
- In 1919, Hostess introduced it’s very first snack cake (AKA Hostess Cupcake).
- Cupcakes were finally decorated with frosting in the 1920’s. Cupcakes were frosted in either Chocolate OR Vanilla Frosting.
- During the 1940’s cupcakes were available with Malted icing.
- In 1947 cupcakes were re-designed and got the look they have today, thanks to D.R. “Doc” Rice.
- During the years of the 2000’s New York city Magnolia Bakery gained tons of publicity by having their Cupcakes appear on HBO’s Sex and the City.
- In the year 2009, Daniel Gross predicted the cupcake market bubble would burst very soon.
- The Statistics for Cupcakes consumed in one sitting is: 29 cupcakes in 30 seconds.
- Cupcakes are banned at schools in New York City to decrease obesity rates.
- The worlds smallest cupcake made is 1.5 centimeters tall & 3 centimeters wide. It was created to celebrate National Cupcake Week.
- Suzanna Ruland is the founder of a Hostess Cupcake Club and claims to have eaten over 50,000 Hostess Cupcakes.
- Crumbs Bakeshop is Americas largest cupcake chain. They have sold over $66 million in cupcakes this past year. the average Cupcake at Crumbs Bakeshop retails for $3.75 each.
- Georgetown Cupcake sells an average of 3,000 to 5,000 cupcakes per day.
- 30% of Georgetown Cupcake’s customers are walk in’s & 70% of their customers are pre-ordered.
- Sprinkles Cupcakes opened the worlds first cupcake-only bakery in 2005.
- Sprinkles Cupcakes have d0nated over 2.2 million in cupcakes since their opening date.
- Sprinkles Cupcakes produces 25,000 cupcakes per day from 11 locations.
- The Food Network has a show exclusively about cupcakes called Cupcake Wars, which has over 1.6 million viewers
That is the history of Cupcakes in a nut shell. I hope you feel as educated as I do. XO, Melissa