A bakery is not complete without Red Velvet Cake or Cupcakes. I wonder if there is a bakery who sells Red velvet Muffins? I was beyond excited when I learned that Sour Cream was a starring ingredient in this Red Velvet Muffin Recipe. Sour Cream is a perfect ingredient to make your dessert 10 times richer. Lick The Spoon found this recipe at Cookie Madness and got busy. She was happy with the outcome of this recipe; however, next time she plans to add more filling to enhance the cream cheese flavors. Red Velvet Muffins are served best served slightly at room temperature. Remove them from the refrigerator just to take that “chill” off of them.
Disclaimer: Cookie Madness & Lick The Bowl both refer to this recipe as a cupcake recipe. My reasoning for calling them muffins is because Lick the Spoon included with this recipe,”They combine a wonderfully red and tender cake with a cream cheese center, so there’s no need for frosting. They’re not very sweet so I guess you could call these muffins but they’re much more exciting”.
Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe
*Yields Approximately 9 Cupcakes
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons lightly beaten egg (break egg, mix with fork, measure)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 8 (I needed 9) muffin cups with paper liners.
- Prepare filling first. With a mixing spoon, beat together softened cream cheese and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, thoroughly stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a second mixing bowl, stir together oil, sugar, vinegar, egg, red food coloring, vanilla and sour cream. Mix very well, then add the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Measure out approximately 1/3 cup red mixture and set aside. Divide remaining red mixture among the 8 muffin cups – each cup should be a little over 1/3 of the way full. Spoon cream cheese mixture over red mixture, dividing evenly between all cups. Drop small spoonfuls of reserved red batter on top of cream cheese mixture, making a bulls-eye pattern.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Carefully remove lift muffins from cups.
- Best served slightly chilled.