Meet Shelly from Cookies and Cups. This blog is devoted to delicious cupcakes, cookies, and other sweet treats. Shelley, who began baking as a young girl, says she started her baking blog “as a way to justify my sugary, buttery obsession with desserts.” Find out about her favorite baking holidays, her recent trip to Smucker’s, and where she gets her great ideas. Read about how she manages blogging, while always keeping the cookie jar full for her husband and four sons. Shelly is a busy mom, but has great talent, inspirations, and a great love of buttercream. Find out what she’s all about!
What is your favorite holiday for baking?
Shelly: Easily Christmas. You basically have a free ride the entire month to make copious amounts of cookies, candies, and treats. Plus, it seems like people tend to make things at Christmas that they normally don’t make at other times of the year, like fudge…and I have a history of following the fudge.
How in the world do you keep the cookie jar full with four boys and a husband? Any tips on baking for a houseful of guys?
Shelly: Well, luckily I have the PERFECT job for a house full of boys. I can make cookies all day everyday and I have built-in taste-testers. If they weren’t around I would most likely weigh 2,000 lbs. All of them have different favorites, so I am pretty sure I can please at least one when I start experimenting! I bake 3-4 days a week for my site, so we go through a lot of sweets. I also have a lot of neighbors who are more than willing to take some of the goodies off my hands, if need-be.
Your visit to Smucker’s looks like so much fun. What was the most valuable thing that you learned on that trip?
Shelly: I could honestly write a book about what I learned on that trip. First and foremost, I will say that the people at and affiliated with Smucker’s are all top notch, lovely, gracious people. I had such fun getting to know all of them. What surprised me most was the tremendous list of brands that Smucker’s owns. I thought I had done my homework before I went researching the Smucker’s brands, but when I got their and saw them all first-hand I was blown away…Pillsbury Baking, Crisco, Eagle Brand, Folgers, Jif, Dunkin’ Donuts Coffee, Martha White, Hungry Jack…the list goes on and on!
What is the most challenging thing about writing a blog?
Shelly: I love blogging. Truly love it. What I find challenging is trying to top myself. By that I mean, keeping it new and fresh and interesting. My site is 75% baking, but the other 25% is my life. I try to include a little bit of me into each post and sometimes that’s tough. I wonder if people really want to hear about my book club, or my dislike of panty hose…but you know, I write what I’m thinking. Probably the other hardest thing about blogging (at least for me) is finding a good balance between computer and family. It’s hard sometimes, especially when you put deadlines on yourself.
The past 6 months or so I have really tried sticking to a schedule with my posting. It has made it a bit more difficult, but I have done it without wavering, and I will tell you that I have seen tremendous benefits from it. Staying at a pace that works for you is really important.
Who inspires you?
Shelly: First, my kids. I try and make foods that they will like. I’m not into fancy desserts. I want to be able to make things from my pantry or items that are easily accessible. I’m inspired by my friends…my fellow bloggers, Pinterest, and even ice cream flavors! I mean, some of those ice cream combinations are mind-blowing, so yeah, Ben and Jerry’s inspire me!
Where do you see yourself five years from now?
Shelly: Five years from now I hope to still be blogging. It’s been incredibly rewarding, personally and professionally for me that, at this point, I can’t imagine not doing it. Obviously my kids will be a little older in 5 years, but I don’t imagine my life will be too different. Things are good!
Balancing work and family is always challenging. Any advice for busy moms?
Shelly: It’s tough. I wish I knew all the answers. One thing that I need to be better about is trying to stick to working only while my kids are at school. I work from home, so there are always distractions, laundry, dust… Trying to unplug when the kids get off the bus in the afternoon is something that I need to be more diligent about.
If you could visit any bakery anywhere…where would you go and what would you buy?
Well, my best friend and I did a bakery tour in NYC last year and that was great…Luckily I live close to Manhatten, so if there’s something I am dying for, my husband can pick it up for me when he goes into the city for work. BUT when we did our little tour, I tried a bunch of things that I have had on my “list” for a while…like Crack Pie from Momofuku and Levain Chocolate Chip Cookies, Magnolia Cupcakes, Bouchon Macarons…
Get inspired with Cookies & Cups on:
Website: http://cookiesandcups.com/Pin It