Today I am so excited to share the recipe I used to make these Neapolitan “Ice Cream” Cupcakes. The ice cream is actually made of frosting. These cupcakes were displayed in the Neapolitan Dessert Bar I recently styled with Tessa of The Frosted Cake Shop.
We got these adorable pink and white striped cupcake wrappers from The TomKat Studio Shop.
Photography courtesy of Chantel Elder of Eleakis & Elder Photography
Billy’s Vanilla, Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
*Makes about 30 cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix on low speed until combined. Add butter, mixing until just coated with flour.
- In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla. With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in three parts, scraping down sides of bowl before each addition; beat until ingredients are incorporated, but do not over beat.
- Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about two-thirds full. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat process with remaining batter.
Magnolia Bakery’s Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 6 to 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter, 4 cups sugar, milk, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating for about 2 minutes after each addition, until icing reaches desired consistency; you may not need to add all the sugar. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
For Strawberry frosting add: 1/3 cup strawberry preserves
For Chocolate frosting add: 1/2 cup cocoa powder
How to decorate Neapolitan Ice Cream Cupcakes
- Add frosting into a bowl. Set the bowl of frosting into the freezer for approximately 15 minutes to stiffen.
- Once the icing is firm, add one scoop of icing on top of your cupcake.
- Add jimmies or sprinkles on top of each cupcake.