pages

DIY // How to Make an Edible Cupcake Stand

Have your cupcake stand, and eat it too!

I easily made these edible cupcake stands from an ice cream cone, a cookie, and some frosting (as glue). And there you have it — the newest decorative party accessory! Imagine a party with a table setting which includes not only a beautiful cupcake, but a sanding-sugar-sparkling edible stand. These are adorable! And your guests, full-sized and pint-sized, will agree.

edible-cupcake-stand

A few helpful hints on cookie selection:

• Use a cookie that’s over 2.75” diameter so it will be a good proportion for your cupcake stand.
  • Use a flat cookie such as a sugar cookie.
  • Use something thick enough to give the cupcake stand some heft.

decorating-desserts

I liked the idea of using a lacy pizzelle, but I decided it would be too fragile. The other large cookie I bought had a rounded top. It would have worked fine if it was flipped over so the flat part was facing up, but it didn’t have the pretty scalloped edge. The cookie I used is called Simply Social by Voortman, and it was in the cookie aisle at my everyday grocery store. I love that it has a beautiful scalloped edge and already has a sugar sprinkle on it!

I flipped the ice cream cones upside down and decorated them first, then piped frosting onto the base and set my cookie on top to dry. For perfectly sized frosting stars, I used a #18 tip.  It was fun to gather my supply of ice cream and cupcake toppings and see what I could create! I hope you’ll have fun with it too! Want some more edible party-ware? Visit the edible teacup recipe at She Knows.

, , ,

16 Responses to How to Make an Edible Cupcake Stand

1. Debbi Hook October 16, 2012 at 7:34 am #

I love this! I can’t wait to try it – I know my grandchildren will think Grandma is sooo smart! I’ll happily admit I didn’t think of it myself :-)
    Thanks for sharing this great idea!!!

• Melissa Johnson
      Melissa Johnson October 16, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

Fantastic! We would love to see pictures of how it turns out for you!

2. Marije October 16, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

What a great idea!!!!

3. Mimi @ Culinary Couture October 16, 2012 at 8:27 pm #

This is genius!

4. Vanessa October 17, 2012 at 6:29 am #

What an awesome idea! I’ve never seen anything like this! So creative.

5. Tamara October 17, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

This is too stinkin’ cute and so creative!!

• sucre
      Brooke October 17, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

Tamara, They are so fun and quick to make! I hope you’ll give it a try!

6. poonam October 18, 2012 at 1:32 am #

These muffins looks fantastic! what a creativity used to design on beautiful stand..
    it decorated especially with cute colors and its good flavor so wonderful!

7. Lisa @hoopla palooza October 18, 2012 at 11:14 am #

L.O.V.E.!

8. flow October 21, 2012 at 10:59 pm #

very nice …..such a creative idea :) pinning it :)

9. Angela February 15, 2013 at 12:16 pm #

What type of icing do you use to attach everything together? just plain buttercream or do you use royal icing or does it matter? i just didnt want it to fall apart if someone picks it up by the cookie, you know? i also thought about using karo syrup and letting it stand for 24 hrs before attaching a cupcake but wasnt sure if that would cause the cone to become stale

10. jill February 25, 2014 at 10:49 am #

I love this idea! I am definitely trying it for my daughter’s upcoming birthday party. Thanks for the idea.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Bleekcup's Le blog » Comment faire un support à cupcake comestible ? - October 19, 2012

[…] Crédits : Brooke Pratt pour Best Friends For Frosting […]

2. Suporte comestível para cupcakes • Cupcakes, bolinhos e outras delícias - November 17, 2012

[…] com bolo – mas lembre de selar a base com algo, como papel manteiga ou um biscoito. Veja a fonteCompartilhe:Email Pin It /* */ […]

3. Cupcakes on Edible Pedestals « Penny's Food Blog - January 25, 2013

[…] so when I saw this edible cupcake stand, the decision was easy!  The idea comes from a blog called “Best Friends for Frosting” which you should check out because her cupcake stands look different than mine and are pretty darn […]