The sweet flavors of fall are hitting kitchens all over the world. We’re ready to get to our fall baking! The flavors of pumpkin and maple are calling our names, and Nikki from Tikkido is ready to share one of her favorite fall recipes. Here is what Nikki has to say:
I absolutely love an elaborately decorated, thoughtfully designed cookie. But there is nothing – and I mean nothing — that beats the fabulous flavors of this simple pumpkin cookie with cream cheese frosting.
We’re talking about perfectly soft pillows of spiced pumpkin, topped with rich cream cheese icing. These cookies may not be the prettiest thing on the fall potluck table, but once word gets out, not a crumb will be left.
Recipe makes 5 dozen. And you’ll want every single one of them.
- 1 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 6 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- one large (29 oz) can of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
I have no idea where this recipe came from originally. Only that it’s hand-written by my mother and at a time in my life when the “from” line reads “Mommy.” It’s been a family favorite as long as I can remember, and this basic recipe wins over enthusiastic new fans every time I bake a batch.
There’s no fancy technique to these cookies.
- Mix sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs and beat.
- Add pumpkin and beat.
- Add dry and mix until incorporated.
- Scoop out onto an ungreased cookie sheet. I use a 2-tablespoon sized scoop for quick, consistent, and easy formation of the cookies.
- Bake at 375 for 12 minutes.
- Let cool, and ice with cream cheese icing.
Cream Cheese Icing Recipe
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 bag (2 lb) powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
Combine ingredients and beat. Thin with cream or milk until the right consistency for spreading over the cookies.Pin It