Hi there! It’s Alison from Alison Lawson Cakes here to share a festive party favor idea! The holiday season is in full swing, so why not send your guests off with these sweet meringue pops as a festive memory of their visit? I love these treats because they are simple to make and endlessly adaptable! These meringue pops would also be the perfect gift for the gluten-free sweet tooth in your life. Here’s how to make them in 5 easy steps:
Step One: Make the meringue mixture. You’ll need:
- 4 large egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups (220g) caster/superfine sugar
- Preheat your oven to 248 degrees Fahrenheit/120 degrees Celsius.
- Separate the egg whites from 4 eggs into a small bowl. Transfer each egg white into a mixing bowl separately.
- Add the salt and whisk the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Start adding the sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Give a short whisk after each new tablespoon until all of the sugar is incorporated. Whisk for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the mixture looks beautiful and glossy. Test if the sugar has dissolved by rubbing some mixture between your fingers. If it is silky smooth, stop whisking. If the mixture feels grainy, keep whisking and test again in another minute.
Step Two: Pipe round meringues onto a tray lined with parchment paper. Leave space on the tray for the lollipop sticks below each meringue.
Step Three: Dip a skewer in red or green food coloring and make swirls in each meringue.
Step Four: Insert lollipop sticks into each meringue, about half way.
Step Five: Place the meringue pops into the oven and reduce the temperature to 194 degrees Fahrenheit/90 degrees Celsius. Bake for 50-60 minutes. The meringues are ready if they lift off the baking paper with a knife. If not ready, keep checking every 10 minutes, otherwise leave to cool in the oven.
Follow Alison on Facebook!
Follow Alison on Twitter!
Follow Alison on Pinterest!