If you’re following us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, you may have caught behind the scenes photos of these cupcakes, as well as clips of our FIRST Youtube video. The first video is set to go live later this month, so be sure to subscribe to our channel to be the first to check it out.
The styling of these cupcakes takes me back to a 1950s diner that serves malted milkshakes. I wanted to recreate that feeling within a cupcake. So by using Magnolia Bakery’s Cupcake Recipe, and my very own Strawberry Frosting Recipe, this happened in the studio.
Do you have a favorite diner that serves malts in your town? We want to hear all about it!
Magnolia Bakery’s Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 (1/2 cup-12 capacity) cupcake tins with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated, but be sure not to over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
Strawberry Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup strawberry preserves
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Beat butter with hand mixer for 3 minutes until fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.
- Add strawberry preserves and beat until incorporated.
- Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Mix until frosting is fluffy with medium peaks.
Bake each cupcake in Wilton Party Nut Cups. You can find them at your local craft store like Michael’s. Pipe the frosting on each cupcake in simple swirls. Add chocolate jimmies on top. You can find the cookies that look spot on like those trendy striped straws at the Asian Supermarket. The brand I bought was was called Barquillos Royal Strawbberry Vanilla Rolls. Insert the Strawberry Vanilla Rolls into each cupcakes and serve.Pin It