The Fourth of July is a celebration that’s absolutely packed with summer nostalgia, family, and watching firework shows from out on the lawn. But why stop there? This year, take these Firecracker Cutout Cookies to the patriotic celebration for a fun spin on a classic Fourth of July pastime.
FIRECRACKER CUTOUT COOKIES
FIRECRACKER CUTOUT COOKIES MATERIALS:
—A batch of sugar cookie dough
—A circle and a star cookie cutter
—Red and blue Pop Rocks
—Buttercream icing colored red and blue
STEP BY STEP FIRECRACKER CUTOUT COOKIES INSTRUCTIONS:
1. First, whip up a batch of your favorite sugar cookie dough. You could also use store-bought, but sugar cookies are simple enough to make and taste much better when they’re homemade (Here’s one of our favorite sugar cookie recipes from Tikkido).
2. Roll out cookie dough, cut into circles, and bake. (Do NOT cut out the center stars just yet! Make sure to bake your cookies first!)
3. As soon as you take the cookies out of the oven, while the cookies are still hot, use a star cookie cutter to cut perfect star shapes out of the center. This eliminates any pesky spreading problems, and you get cute little mini star cookies out of the deal, too.
4. Pipe or spread icing on a solid circle cookie, and top with a star-cut-out cookie.
5. Sprinkle pop rocks in the cut out star center of the cookie to get that fabulous fireworks effect when you bite in.
What’s your favorite patriotic summertime treat?