Today, we’re thrilled to have Becca of CAKE. sharing this flavorful cookie recipe. The combination of coconut and lime is absolutely perfect for summer! Here’s what Becca has to say:
These delicious cookies were a total happy accident. I set out to make my mom some of my favorite Lemon Currant Cookies for Mother’s Day, only to discover that I’d forgotten to buy currants. After a slight meltdown, I decided to see what other useable inclusions I had around the house. I’d just bought some some toasted coconut flakes from Trader Joe’s, but I wasn’t sure about pairing them with lemon. Then I remembered we had some key limes left over from Cinco De Mayo. Score! Lime and coconut always go hand in hand.
I followed the original recipe with my substitutions, and somehow, they were a smashing success. I think my mom described them best when she said, “I would never think to call a cookie refreshing, but these totally are.” So there you go. When life hands you coconut in place of currants…go make some cookies!
For more great recipes, please visit CAKE.
COCONUT LIME COOKIES
Adapted from Martha Stewart
COCONUT LIME COOKIES INGREDIENTS:
—1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus more for baking sheets
—1 cup sugar
—1/4 cup sour cream
—1 large egg
—1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
—1/4 teaspoon baking powder
—1/4 teaspoon salt
—1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes
—1 tablespoon grated lime zest
—1/4 cup lime juice
STEP BY STEP COCONUT LIME COOKIES INSTRUCTIONS:
2. Combine the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in sour cream and egg.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually beat the dry ingredients into the butter mixture until well combined.
4. Stir in coconut, lime zest, and lime juice.
5. Drop heaping teaspoonfuls of dough about 1 1/2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake until cookies are puffed and golden around the edges, about 20 minutes.
6. Let cool 5 minutes on baking sheets before transferring cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Do you have a favorite summer cookie recipe?