Butter Chicken, also known as Murgh Makhani, is a popular dish that seems to be at the top of everyone’s list when it comes to Indian curries. Hit up your local Indian market for a few spices, like garam masala (a staple ingredient in Indian cooking), and you’ll be ready to go! While making this recipe, it’s best to adjust elements to your liking as you go along. With the right blend of spices and creaminess, this savory chicken dish is sure to leave you craving more.
–1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Cut up chicken breast into bite-sized pieces, and marinate with the plain yogurt, lime juice, salt, and pepper for at least 30 minutes (this will help tenderize the chicken).
- Cook basmati rice (2 cups water to 1 cup rice).
- Stir spice ingredients together in a small bowl, and set aside.
- For the sauce, melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add the garlic/ginger paste, tomato paste, and spice blend, then cook for 1 minute (stir to prevent burning). Stir in tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Add heavy cream, bring to a boil, and then simmer.
- Cook chicken in a separate pan with a little cooking oil. Drain juices, add chicken to the sauce mix, and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve sauce and chicken over rice.
What’s your favorite way to spice up chicken?