It’s a common myth that if you’re vegan, you can’t enjoy rich and luscious chocolate desserts. But despite what some may think, vegan baking can be just as fluffy and rich as its butter and egg filled alternative (plus, you get to taste the batter without fear of salmonella!). This vegan cake is as delectable as it gets. The cake is rich and dense, while the fudgey ganache is not only vegan, but also sugar-free and made with healthy ingredients. Now, isn’t that a vegan dessert you can’t wait to sink your teeth into?
Cake recipe adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World
Fudge ganache adapted from Creating Naturally
– 1 cup soy or almond milk
– 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
– 3/4 cup white sugar
– 1/3 cup canola oil
– 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
– 1 cup all purpose flour
– 1/3 cup cocoa powder
– 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– Crushed almonds (for garnish)
ALMOND FUDGE GANACHE INGREDIENTS:
– 1/2 cup coconut oil
– 1/2 cup nut butter (such as almond or peanut)
– 1/2 cup cocoa powder
– 1/4 cup honey, maple syrup or agave nectar
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and grease cake pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk milk and apple cider vinegar together, and let sit for a few minutes to curdle (sounds scary, but it’s not!).
3. Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla extract to the milk mixture until foamy.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together all dry ingredients. In two batches, add to the wet ingredients, beating until no large lumps remain (very small lumps are okay).
5. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before icing.
6. While the cake is baking, melt coconut oil (if it isn’t liquid already). If you need to melt it in a pan, be sure not to overheat it. Coconut oil melts at 74F (24C) so you won’t need to heat it for long.
7. Blend together all other ingredients. Transfer to a bowl, and add liquid coconut oil, whisking quickly while you pour. Before it has time to settle and firm up too much, pour it over the cake, and spread using a knife or spatula.
8. Top with crushed almonds (or any other nut).
Do you have a favorite vegan treat?