Are you a fan of all things vintage? Is your purpose in life re-purposing? Then there’s no doubt you’re a fan of cute, creative DIY projects, and this one is perfect for you. Melissa ofThe Sweet Escapeis here this week with an awesome guest DIY idea exclusively for BFFF. With some spare time and a few easy steps, you can re-purpose a bland folding chair into a cute piece of decor. Here’s what Melissa has to say about her love of thrifty design:
“I love to blog about all things creative, including home decor, vintage style, DIYs and more, which is why I love this project because it incorporates all of them! I’m a hunter and scavenger of the vintage kind. There’s nothing that gets me more excited than finding thrifted treasures for pennies and upcycling them into something fabulous. For this project it’s a set of dated brown folding chairs and a dress that’s a little too dated for even me to pull off, but the fabric is too great not to reuse. There’s a pretty good chance you have most of what you’ll need for this project, so let’s get started!”
– glossy black spray paint
– spray glue or liquid adhesive
– spray or liquid sealer
– painters tape
– large soft paint brush
– staple gun
– gold leaf (optional depending on your design)
1. Let’s start with the chairs. Remove the seats and set aside. Make sure you have proper drop sheets in a well-vented area and give the chair a few coats of paint with drying time in between.
2. Once the chair is dry, mask off the top part where you will put the gold leaf (or a different color). Make sure you have your gold leaf ready to go. I suggest testing it out on something small if you haven’t used it before. (I learned this the hard way!) So then spray or apply generous layer of glue then apply the gold leaf. Brush off the excess when you’re happy with the coverage. I purposely made it look a little rough. You will have something like this:
3. Now let’s get to the seat. Cut up your dress, lay out flat, and wrap around the seat, then staple down. Trim and cut the corners.
4. Voila, you can pop the seat back in and you have something super fabulous like this! These chairs are so cute you won’t want to fold them back and put them away.
How will you transform your own folding chair? What colors will you use to make it pop?If you like this project, check out more DIYs, upcycling, and Before & After posts on Melissa’s blog.
Follow along on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitterfor regular creative updates and send pictures of your own creations!