Sometimes it can feel close to impossible to find the exact makeup you crave, no matter how many stores you try. Why not create makeup that is uniquely, perfectly you? Follow this fun lip gloss and balm project by our exclusive DIY contributor, Melissa of The Sweet Escape, to show off your look. Here’s what Melissa has to say about her project:
“If you live in a cold climate, then you know all about dry winter lips. There are a ton of pretty lip glosses out there, but pretty doesn’t necessarily mean moisture and protection, which is what your pout needs in the winter. Guess what? You can have make your own pretty colors that moisturize, and they’re natural and non toxic! If colors aren’t your thing or you also want a general balm for your hands, there’s a great recipe for that too. I’m going to show you two similar but slightly different recipes to make your own colored lip gloss and beeswax coconut oil balm. The lip gloss takes a few more steps, but it’s still super easy. Plus you get to play with colors, which is the best part! Don’t be turned off by using crayons on your lips. They are made for children and are 100% non-toxic, so they’re totally fine!”
—Vitamin E oil
—Containers for your gloss/balm
A few tips before you start:
—Working with wax can get a bit messy, so work on a wax paper or parchment lined surface.
—Cleaning wax and oil isn’t that bad, but disposable, heat safe containers or stir sticks makes it even easier.
—Rub your utensils and containers with alcohol or vinegar to get rid of any residue.
GENERIC LIP OR HAND BALM:
1. The basic lip balm recipe is 2 parts coconut oil, 1 part beeswax, and a few drops of vitamin E. So to make one medium pot, use 2 tsp coconut oil and 1 tsp beeswax, or adjust based on how much you want to make.
2. Put all your ingredients in a heat safe bowl and microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring in between until it’s melted, and pour into your container of choice. (Tip: Grate the beeswax with a cheese grater to get small pieces that are easy to melt.)
It doesn’t get much easier than that! Once it’s dry, you’ll have a natural balm that smells yummy and keeps your lips and hands nice and soft.
1. The basic lip gloss recipe is 1 part petroleum jelly, 1 part coconut oil, and a small amount of crayon. So to make one small pot, use 1 tsp each of jelly and coconut oil, and about 1/4 – 1/2 tsp of the crayons.
4. Get your base ingredients together so that they’re ready to go once the crayons are melted. For the lip gloss, the beeswax is substituted with petroleum jelly to give it a more glossy look and texture.
6. Once you have created a fabulous color that you love, pour it in with the base ingredients.
7. Just like the balm, microwave it at 20 second intervals, stirring in between until it’s melted. Once it’s all combined, pour it into your pot.
8. Now that you’ve tried it out, have even more fun with color! Make a bunch of different shades. Invite your girlfriends over and make a little beauty party of it. Once you do one, you’ll see how easy it is and won’t want to stop!