When you’re baking your newest batch of award-winning desserts, don’t forget that presentation is just as important as taste! That’s why we can’t get enough of this recipe for pink cupcakes by our exclusive recipe contributor, Natasha Merchant of Cake Merchant. They’re easy to make and yummy to eat, and will make picture-perfect additions to the table at your Valentine’s Day party. Here’s what Natasha has to say about her recipe:
“Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate than with pretty pink cupcakes? This simple recipe takes just a few minutes from start to finish, and tastes way better than a boxed mix. I used a Wilton 2d tip and piled the frosting high for a ruffled effect. If you plan to spread the frosting on the cupcakes rather than pipe it, you can cut the frosting recipe in half.”
PINK VANILLA CUPCAKES
Cupcake recipe adapted from Williams Sonoma
makes 12 cupcakes
—1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
—1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
—1/4 teaspoon salt
—3/4 cup sugar
—6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
—1 whole egg plus 1 egg white, at room temperature
—1 teaspoon vanilla extract
—1/2 cup milk
—1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
—3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
—2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
—Pinch of salt
—A few drops of pink gel food coloring
—Sugar pearls for decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. With an electric mixer (or in the bowl of a stand mixer) beat the butter and sugar on medium high until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
5. Add the eggs and egg white one at a time, beating after each addition.
6. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and beat in the vanilla.
7. With the mixer on low, add the flour in 3 additions, alternating with milk in 2 additions, mixing until the flour just disappears into the wet ingredients.
8. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat on medium speed for an additional 30 seconds to ensure that the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
9. Divide the batter between the 12 liners and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The cupcakes should be lightly golden on top.
10. Cool completely before frosting.
1. With an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium high speed until light and fluffy.
2. Add the powdered sugar and beat on low until combined.
3. Turn up the mixer to medium high and beat for an additional 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the vanilla extract and salt and beat until combined.
5. Add the food coloring and beat until combined.
6. Spread the frosting onto the cupcakes or use a decorating bag fitted with an icing tip to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
7. Top with sugar pearls or sprinkles.