Strawberries and cream is a classic pairing– not only because of the sweet flavor, but the even sweeter presentation! Each one of these strawberries and cream cupcakes by Beth of Beth Cakes are topped with heart-shaped sprinkles and a whole strawberry. The pink color and strawberry glaze makes these sweet, fruity cupcakes a must-have for your dessert table! Here’s what Beth has to say:
“Spring always reminds me of bright colors and fresh strawberries. To celebrate the end of a crazy winter (finally!), I decided to make some strawberry cupcakes. There are fresh chopped strawberries in the batter, as well as a couple of tablespoons of strawberry Jello mix. The mix really helps boost the strawberry flavor and adds to the color. The more pink, the better! These cupcakes are topped with a silky cream cheese frosting and are then drizzled with a strawberry glaze. Add a strawberry and some sprinkles on top and you’re set. These strawberries and cream cupcakes are perfect for any spring get-together or celebration!”
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
—One 8 oz. package of cream cheese, softened
—1 tsp vanilla extract
—3 cups powdered sugar
—3/4 cup sugar
—2 large egg whites
—1/4 cup milk
—2 tbsp strawberry Jello mix
—1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
—3/4 tsp baking soda
—3/4 cup finely chopped strawberries, plus 12 whole strawberries for garnish
—1/2 cup powdered sugar
—1/4 cup strawberry sundae sauce, such as Hershey’s
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using a handheld electric mixer, cream the cream cheese on medium high speed until smooth and there are no lumps.
2. Add vanilla and one cup of powdered sugar at a time. First mix on low until the powdered sugar is mostly combined. Then mix on medium speed until completely combined. Repeat with the rest of the powdered sugar.
3. If the frosting is too thin, add another 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. If the frosting is too thick, add one tablespoon of milk at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
4. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a star tip, and pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter on medium high speed until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and mix until completely incorporated.
3. Add egg whites and mix well.
4. Next add the Jello mix, all purpose flour, and baking soda. Mix on low speed until mostly combined. Then mix on medium speed until completely combined.
5. Stir in finely chopped strawberries.
6. Pour the batter into the cupcake pan, filling each cavity about 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.
8. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
1. Combine both ingredients in a bowl and whisk them together.
2. If the glaze is too thick to drizzle, add more strawberry sauce one tablespoon at a time.
3. Drizzle glaze over cupcakes and immediately sprinkle with pink sprinkles. Add one strawberry on top and serve!