‘Tis the season for grapefruits! There are so many delicious ways to enjoy this incredibly healthy fruit in so many different dishes. Today, we are thrilled to have Diana Steffen of her blog Diana Elizabeth here to show us how to make Homemade Grapefruit Curd! Here is Diana with the recipe:
For those who may enjoy the sweetness of grapefruit but not the tart flavor, you will love this Homemade Grapefruit Curd recipe courtesy of Angela Saban Designs and Angel Cakes Bakery. You can also substitute the grapefruit with any citrus – think lemon or lime – to create other unique desserts.
You’ll find many ways to use this curd – use it on biscuits, toast, or even as a dressing over vanilla ice cream mixed with other fruit as we did here!
HOMEMADE GRAPEFRUIT CURD
-8 egg yolks
-1 1/4 cups white sugar
-3 tsp citrus zest (lemon, lime, or grapefruit)
-1 cup fresh citrus juice (lemon, lime, or grapefruit – keep same)
-1 stick butter
-1/2 tsp salt
1. Pick some fresh grapefruit if you have it in your yard!
2. Set a fine mesh sieve over a medium bowl.
3. In a saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and the sugar until blended.
4. Turn heat to medium and whisk in citrus zest, juice, and salt.
5. Continue to whisk constantly for 8-10 minutes or until mixture thickens. Note: About 170 degrees, do not let is come to a boil or it will curdle and be ruined! Immediately pour mixture through the sieve, pressing it down with a rubber spatula into a bowl.
6. Let mixture cool down to about 140 degrees. Whisk butter, cut into tablespoon size pieces. Do not allow butter to melt into the mixture, but whisk it until it is combined or use an immersion blender.
7. Cover curd with plastic wrap on the surface and refrigerate or our into sealed jars while still warm. This will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks after opened, and also freezes well!