I’ve got to tell you, growing up, I was never much of a breakfast eater. But for some reason, when my appetite is turned off, I can’t resist something sweet unless I am super sick. I think every single tooth in my mouth must be a sweet tooth! ;) Last week, we had a team brunch at the studio and thought Ombre Pink Pop Tarts would be the perfect touch to get everyone in the spirit!
Not only were these super easy to make, but they’re so good! The crust is buttery and flaky and the filling is a lot more generous than the traditional Pop Tarts you will buy from the grocery store. And I just love how you can customize the colors to play with any fun theme! If only I had thought about these last year for my baby shower brunch!!
- 2 packs refrigerated pie crust (15 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup raspberry preserves
- water, as needed
- flour, as needed
- for the egg wash:
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- for the icing:
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- red food gel, as needed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Roll out pie crust using a rolling pin, keeping as rectangular as possible, while sprinkling flour on your work bench and on the crust to prevent it from sticking
- Use a rectangle cookie cutter to cut 24 rectangles and place in pairs
- Working with one pair of rectangles at a time, add about 2 teaspoons of raspberry preserves to the middle of one of the rectangles and spread out until it is about 1/4 inch away from the edge
- Using a pastry brush, wipe water along all four edges of the rectangle with the raspberry preserves on it
- Top that rectangle with its partner and crimp all four sides using a fork
- Do the same with remaining rectangles
- Arrange all pop tarts on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Apply egg wash on top of all pop tarts
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a light golden brown
- While pop tarts are baking, make the ombre icing for the tops of the pop tarts
- In a medium bowl, combine all icing ingredients and whisk until smooth. Then divide into three small bowls and add red food gel as desired to get three different shades of pink!
- Once pop tarts are completely cool, add icing to the top of them and enjoy!