We’re kicking off our Cinco De Mayo celebration a whole day early at BFFF! ;) The other day, we had part of our team at my home studio where we shot a TON of new content for the blog (seriously cannot wait to share it ALL with you guys). ;) We capped off our shoot with a fantastic celebration!
Whenever I think about Cinco De Mayo, I instantly associate it with tacos, salsa, margs, guacamole, piñatas, and Mexican food, of course!!! Anyone else suddenly getting hungry and thirsty as you’re reading this? Me too!! Let’s GO! ;)
So in the spirit of BFFF, I made a DIY PINK Avocado Piñata to upgrade our celebration! Don’t be intimated, it’s SO easy!!
As Mandy says “No Cinco de Mayo celebration is complete without Patrón!” ;) So to kick off the party, Andy made Patrón’s exclusive Coralina Margarita recipe. It’s basically an AMAZING margarita combining tequila with wine. The oaky notes of Patrón Reposado perfectly balance the citrusy flavors of Patrón Citrónge Orange. Finally, a sugar-salt rim rounds out a truly unique combination of flavors. If this isn’t on your party list already, get going girl!!! You won’t want to miss it!
Watching Andy make this drink was like a work of art. The wine that you add in floats to the top adding a color contrast to the drink – so cool! I have to tell you, there are endless customized recipes you can make with Patrón (they’re ALL over Pinterest), but the Coralina Margarita recipe was an absolute hit at our bash.
What are you doing for Cinco De Mayo?! I STILL cannot believe we’re already in May!
How To Make A DIY Avocado Piñata
- Light pink streamer paper
- Bright pink streamer paper
- Gold spray paint
- Paint brush
- Draw your avocado shape onto your cardboard and cut out two pieces.
- Stuff the inside of your piñata with newspaper to make the shape. Tape your avocado shut.
- Cut fringe strips using your light pink streamer paper and scissors. Starting at the bottom, cover your piñata by taping each strip one on top of the another until your whole piñata is covered with your streamer paper.
- With your bright pink streamer paper, cut out fringes and tape a strip around the entire outside of your avocado.
- For your avocado pit, cut small squares of newspaper and set aside.
- Mix 1/2 cup of glue and 1/2 cup of water together for your paper mache paste.
- Using your paintbrush and glue and water mixture, cover your balloon with your newspaper squares. Let dry 1-2 hours.
- When your paper mache is dry, pop the balloon!
- Spray paint your newspaper gold.
- Glue the gold pit onto your piñata!
Oh and don’t forget this too!!
- 1.75 oz Patrón Reposado
- .75 oz Patrón Citrónge Orange
- 1 oz Fresh lime juice
- .75 oz Simple syrup
- .5 oz Red Wine (Mexican, or other)
- 1/4 cup dried hibiscus
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- Combine Patrón Reposado, Patrón Citrónge Orange, simple syrup, and lime juice in a shaker tin; add ice and shake vigorously.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail coupe rimmed with sugar-salt rim.
- For your sugar-salt rim, pulverize your dried hibiscus in a spice grinder. Add your sugar and kosher
- salt and pulse until combined.
- Carefully float red wine on the surface of the cocktail.
Disclosure: This post has been sponsored by Patron. All opinions are our own. Thank you so much for supporting the brands who support Best Friends for Frosting.