With relatives in town and recently launching Best Friends For Frosting, it was our privilege to present a new custom recipe. We decided to create a bar recipe with some of our favorite leading ingredients; such as caramel, chocolate and oatmeal. The ingredients perfectly complimented one another. Our Decadent Oatmeal Caramel Chocolate bars had such an exquisite chewy-like consistency. Our relatives were satisfied and described these to be “Moist” “Chewy” “Decadent” and “Delicious”. It’s always a great sign when guests have second servings… but it’s an even better sign when they help themselves to thirds. We certainly plan on using this recipe again sometime in the near future. If you decide to try this recipe, we would love to hear what you and your guest thought.
XOXO, Melissa & Nancy
BFFF’s Decadent Oatmeal Caramel Chocolate Bar Recipe
Recipe yields 20 large bars
1 (14-oz) package caramels
1/3 c. milk
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. regular oats, uncooked
1 1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 t. baking soda
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 c. butter, softened
1 (12-oz) package semisweet chocolate chips
Caramel Sauce approved by Nancy & sweet sister, Jo Ann!
- Cook caramels in a saucepan over low heat, stirring each minute, until caramels melt.
- After caramels melt entirely, combine milk with caramel until it reaches a smooth consistency. Set mixture aside.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Melt butter to a liquid constancy. We heated ours up in the microwave for 32 seconds.
- Slightly beat egg and mix with melted butter. Then mixed in with combined flour, oats, sugar, baking soda and salt until mixture is crumbly.
- Line 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking pan with wax paper on the bottom and grease the sides.
- Press half of the crumb mixture on the bottom as your crust. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Immediately upon removing crust from oven, sprinkle with chocolate chips, then pour caramel mixture evenly on top followed by sprinkling remaining crumbs.
- Bake at 350° for 23 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Set bars out within room temperature for 45 minutes before cutting.