Are you excited for spring? I know I am, and here at Best Friends For Frosting, we’re ready to gear up with colorful, spring themed desserts like these M&M’s Easter Blondies. It seems like the year just started, but Easter is right around the corner. And you know what that means–Easter candy is hitting the stores like crazy! I couldn’t resist the pastel M&M’s staring at me in the candy aisle. I just knew that they would make such a fun Easter themed dessert!
Sweet, rich blondies seemed like the perfect way to package these colorful M&M’s, and they turned out incredibly good. The blondies are soft and chewy, like the perfect cookie in bar form, with a deep caramel-like brown sugar flavor. The crunchy M&M’s mixed in add a nice balance of texture, and a layer of milk chocolate on top brings out the smooth chocolate-y flavor of the M&M’s. These blondies are the kind of dessert that kids will love and adults will enjoy too, taking a classic candy and making it a little more sophisticated–in a delicious way!
M&M’s Easter Blondies
Blondie base adapted from: Alice Medrich via The Food Librarian
Makes 16 blondies
For the Blondies:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), cubed
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pastel Easter M&M’s
For the Topping/Decoration:
- 7 1/2 ounces Hershey’s milk chocolate (or similar), cut into squares or roughly chopped, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup pastel Easter M&M’s
For the Blondies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8″ square pan with parchment paper or foil, leaving an overhang on at least two sides that you can use to lift the finished blondies out of the pan. If using foil, lightly grease the foil with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate, microwave-safe bowl, microwave the cubed butter for about 30 seconds, until totally melted. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in the brown sugar until the mixture is smooth. Whisk in the egg and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and fold in just until evenly incorporated, with none of the dry visible.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, spreading in an even, flat layer over the bottom of the pan and reaching every corner and edge. Smooth out with an offset spatula. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top looks set. You also might notice the blondies pulling away from the edges of the foil or parchment. I wouldn’t recommended baking the blondies for longer than 25 minutes. Place the pan on a wire rack and allow the blondies to cool completely. If desired, you can speed up this process by putting the blondies in the fridge after 30 minutes of cooling at room temperature (either way, keep the pan on the cooling rack). Once completely cool, make the topping and decorate the blondies.
For the Topping/Decoration:
- Place 5 ounces milk chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl along with 2 tablespoons butter, cubed. Microwave for 30-second increments at medium power, stirring in between increments, until both the chocolate and butter are melted and the mixture is smooth (it will be fairly thick). Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, cubed, and stir in until the butter has melted and the mixture is smooth again.
- Spread the chocolate mixture over the cooled blondies in a smooth, flat layer using an offset spatula. It may help to lift the bars out of the pan before spreading the chocolate on top, but make sure to not go over the edges of the blondies. Transfer the blondies back to the pan once done. Shake the pan back and forth briefly, and rap it firmly on the counter a few times. This will help the chocolate layer settle smoothly. Scatter the M&M’s over the top; it helps to keep in mind where you’ll be slicing the blondies later if possible. Place the blondies in the fridge to chill for about 5 minutes, until the chocolate is starting to firm up but isn’t firmly set yet. Remove from the fridge and score the chocolate along the same lines that you’ll be slicing the blondies, working around the M&M’s. Return to the fridge until completely set.
- Once the chocolate has set, lift the blondies out of the pan. Slice into squares, dipping a knife in hot water and wiping it dry between each slice. Push any M&M’s in the way to one side; if they come loose, just place them back on top (because the chocolate drizzle applied after will hold them on). Place the cut blondies on a large sheet of parchment paper.
- Fit a piping bag with a coupler to fit a small round tip (such as Wilton #5). Rubber band the bag right above the coupler to prevent the melted chocolate from coming out early. You can also just snip the edge off the piping bag once you’re ready to drizzle, if desired. Place the remaining 2 1/2 ounces milk chocolate in the bag and place it in a microwave-safe cup. Microwave for 30-second increments, squishing the chocolate to help it melt between increments, until it has melted completely. Add the piping tip and remove the rubber band, or cut off the very tip of the bag if not using a tip. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the blondies, and let it set. Store the blondies in an airtight container and serve at room temperature.
I used Easter M&M’s for these blondies, but you could use any flavor or color for any occasion.
What’s your favorite Easter candy? Peeps? Jelly beans? We’d love to know!