As we’re in the middle of spring, and summer is fast approaching, florals are everywhere! From fashion to home decor, floral patterns are always on trend. So, why not match that with the perfect cupcake recipe?
Today, we’re thrilled to share a recipe for Lavender and Matcha Cupcakes topped with Cream Cheese Frosting. Although it may sound like an unusual flavor combination, these cupcakes are perfect for those who love the subtle tones of matcha, or Japanese green tea. With a floral kick of lavender, and a thick swirl of cream cheese frosting, these cupcakes are perfect for any outdoor event. We’re thinking they would be great for a garden party or a stroll at the farmer’s market. It’s up to you!
Adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
MATCHA CUPCAKES INGREDIENTS:
—1/2 cup Greek yogurt
—2/3 cup whole milk
—1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
—1/3 cup canola oil
—1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
—1 teaspoon baking powder
—1/4 teaspoon baking soda
—4 teaspoons matcha powder
—1/2 teaspoon sea salt
—3/4 cup granulated sugar
STEP BY STEP CUPCAKE INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and prepare your cupcake tin with liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, milk, vanilla, and oil.
3. When the wet ingredients are well blended, sift in all the dry ingredients.
4. Fill your cupcake liners two-thirds full. Bake for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
5. Allow to completely cool on a cooling rack before frosting.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING INGREDIENTS:
—1/4 cup butter, room temperature
—1/4 cup cream cheese, room temperature
—2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
—1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
STEP BY STEP CREAM CHEESE FROSTING INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Using a stand or hand mixer, cream together the butter and cream cheese until well blended.
2. Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, making sure it’s well blended before adding the next 1/2 cup.
3. Add your vanilla extract and keep mixing until frosting is creamy but stiff.
4. Using a piping bag, swirl the frosting on top of each cupcake. You can also spread the frosting on if you prefer.
5. Top each cupcake with a sprinkle of lavender florets.
VEGAN AND GLUTEN FREE OPTIONS
1. Use vegan yogurt and soy, rice, or almond milk instead of dairy options. The cake will come out just a tad dryer.
2. Rice flour can replace all-purpose flour. Be aware that the batter will be slightly lumpier.
3. Use vegan margarine and tofu spread (like tofutti) for your frosting.