For most of us, the holidays mean fun, family, and lots of sweets. This also means that you probably would rather be busy celebrating than working in the kitchen. While we want to serve our loved ones something special and from the heart, quick and easy treats are where it’s at! These easy peppermint cream puffs are a cinch to make. They don’t need to look perfect, and the extra sprinkles really jazz ’em up. Once you’ve got the pate a choux down (don’t let the fancy French name fool you), you’ll be making cream puffs for every occasion!
Pate a Choux adapted from Martha Stewart
makes about 30+
–1/2 cup unsalted butter
–1 teaspoon sugar
–1/2 teaspoon salt
–1 cup water
–1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
–4 eggs, plus 1 egg sepparated
WHIPPED CREAM FILLING:
–2 cups heavy whipping cream
–1 teaspoon vanilla extract
–2 tablespoons granulated sugar
–8 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate
–1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
–1 tablespoon corn syrup
–1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract, or to taste
1. Bring butter, sugar, salt, and 1 cup water to a boil.
2. Remove from heat and stir in the flour with a wooden spoon.
3. Return to medium heat, and continually stir to cook out the flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the pan (about 3 minutes).
4. Transfer dough mixture into the bowl of an electric mixer. Fitted with a paddle attachment, mix on low until slightly cool.
5. Turn mixer up to medium, and add in the 4 eggs- one at a time.
6. Turn off the mixer before adding in the egg white. If the dough forms a soft peak when touched with your finger, stop mixing. If not, add in the remaining egg white.
7. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking pans with parchment.
8. Put dough into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2″ round tip.
9. Pipe round mounds of dough, a little smaller than the size of a golf ball.
10. Make a wash with the remaining egg white and a bit of water. Brush the dough with the egg wash while gently flattening down any peaks that may have formed.
11. Bake about 25 minutes, until puffed and golden. Remove from oven and let cool.
WHIPPED CREAM FILLING:
1. Place the whipping cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitter with a whisk attachment. Beat on medium until slightly thickened.
2. Add in the remaining ingredients and whip on high until medium peaks form.
1. Place chopped chocolate, heavy cream, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan.
2. Heat over medium until the cream begin the steam and simmer. Remove from heat.
3. Wait a minute or two, then whisk in the peppermint extract until smooth.
4. Refrigerate about 10 minutes before using.
1. With a serrated knife, carefully cut the baked cream puffs in half.
2. Place whipped cream in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe cream into the center of the cream puff and replace the cap.
3. Spoon over the peppermint chocolate sauce and finish with sprinkles.
Alternatively, insert the start tip of the pastry bag into the bottom of an uncut cream puff. Gently squeeze the bag to fill while holding the puff in the other hand. Stop when you feel the puff start to expand. Dip tops in the peppermint chocolate sauce and sprinkle.