When it comes to the 4th of July, there’s something so fun about getting competitive with family and friends over who will bring the best dessert to the table. Whether they’re using their best popsicle recipe, one for fruit jello, or one for fabulous red, white, and blue cupcakes, it doesn’t matter. We’re in the dead of summer, and the competition is on!
Whether it’s a competition amongst family members, or you’re simply having a potluck and telling everyone to bring something, dessert can become a major part of a 4th of July celebration, just as it does with many other celebrations. It’s so easy to capture the fun, lighthearted feel of summer and the great colors of the American flag and then turn it in to a great dessert.
This year, we were thrilled to receive so many great compliments on the dessert we brought to the table. It epitomized summer, and we were so excited to share it with everyone else! We tried out a recipe for Kraft’s Wave Your Flag Cake, and our family and friends are still talking about it!
This recipe certainly puts the spotlight on fruit. Strawberries and blueberries get the spotlight as they act as stars and stripes to make up the American Flag. It starts with a layer of pound cake first, which you can buy or make yourself. Then, you top the pound cake with JELL-O Gelatin, in any red flavor like raspberry or strawberry, which has been mixed with fresh berries before allowing it to set. Then, top it with the last layer, the COOL WHIP.
Now, the red, white, and blue layers of this dessert are not the only patriotic themed details. It’s the topping that really matters in making it decorative. Using halved strawberries and blueberries, you can create the flag! Use the strawberries for the stripes and the blueberries for the stars to create the perfect pattern.
We were so thrilled to have tried this recipe out from Kraft. We were at the top of the list for unique desserts at our 4th of July celebration this year, and we can’t wait to try out more recipes from KraftRecipes.com.
Prep: 20 min.
– 4 cups fresh strawberries, divided
– 1 1/2 cups boiling water
– 2 pkg. (3 oz. each) JELL-O Gelatin, any red flavor
– Ice cubes
– 1 cup cold water
– 1 pkg. (12 oz.) prepared pound cake, cut into 10 slices
– 1-⅓ cups blueberries, divided
– 1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
1. SLICE 1 cup strawberries; cut remaining strawberries in half.
2. ADD boiling water to gelatin mixes in large bowl; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Add enough ice to cold water to measure 2 cups. Add to gelatin; stir until ice is melted. Refrigerate 5 min. or until slightly thickened. Meanwhile, cover bottom of 13×9-inch dish with cake slices.
3. ADD sliced strawberries and 1 cup blueberries to thickened gelatin; stir gently. Spoon over cake. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.
4. SPREAD COOL WHIP over dessert. Top with fruit to resemble the flag, using strawberries for the stripes and remaining blueberries for the stars.
Will you take the plunge and whip up a Wave Your Flag “Cake” of your own? Do you have even more ideas on pretty presentation or are just thrilled with how your all-American treats came out? Share all your sweet ideas and pictures with us this summer! Kraft Dessert Recipes are a sure-fire way to sweeten up summer get-togethers.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Kraft via Mode Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Kraft.