We’re all busy dreaming of the blue skies of spring. So why not bake the perfect treat for the season? These sweet lemon cupcakes by Jessica Hylton of Jessiker Bakes are topped with buttercream frosting as light as a fluffy white cloud. The delicious mix of vanilla and lemon zest will quickly make this a springtime dessert staple. Here’s what Jessica has to say:
“When I think of the upcoming spring season, the first thing that comes to mind is lemon. I love lemon anything, especially lemon desserts! It’s certainly my favorite flavor, and I have been stocking up on them to make all sorts of lemon treats, including these cupcakes! They’re light and very fluffy, thanks to the butter and the buttermilk in the ingredients. They are by no means tart, but they are packed with vibrant flavor that delivers on freshness and a slight bite of lemon zest added right before you bake the cupcakes. The sweet vanilla and lemon come together so very well.
The buttercream frosting on top is as light as clouds, but is absolutely delicious. It’s my favorite buttercream frosting and is so versatile. If you want even more of a lemon touch, you can add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to the frosting. This recipe is pretty easy and your cupcakes will be finished in no time! I hope you enjoy these cupcakes as much as I did! They make the perfect treat for any group celebration, or even a girls’ night in.”
—½ cup (1 stick) of butter, room temperature
—1 cup of sugar
—2 eggs, room temperature
—1 ½ cups of pastry flour
—1 ¾ tsp baking powder
—1 tsp salt
—1/2 cup of buttermilk
—1/2 tsp vanilla extract
—1/2 tsp butter flavouring (optional but amazing)
—6 tbsp lemon juice
—¼ tsp lemon zest
WHIPPED BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
—3 cups powdered sugar
—1 cup butter, softened
—½ tsp vanilla
—2 tbsp of milk
—Lemon zest, as garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line a cupcake pan with 15 liners. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
4. Cream butter and sugar for 7 minutes until creamed together, stopping to mix together every 3 minutes.
5. Add eggs one at a time. Mix for 30 seconds, then add the other egg. Add the vanilla extract.
6. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk (alternating) to the mix in three rounds, starting with the flour and ending with it.
7. Add butter flavoring and the lemon juice to mix until just mixed.
8. Add the lemon zest and fold in.
9. Fill each cupcake liner with about ¼ cup of batter.
10. Bake for 25 minutes.
11. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the cupcake pan and place on a wire rack.
WHIPPED BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
1. Beat the butter and vanilla for about 2 minutes until fluffy.
2. Add ½ of the powdered sugar and 1 tbsp of the milk. Beat for about 3 minutes, until all is incorporated.
3. Add the rest of the powdered sugar and the milk. Mix for at least 8 minutes, using the spatula to mix everything together every 3 minutes, until the frosting is white and fluffy.
4. Once ready, pipe frosting onto the cupcakes in a circle.
5. Add a bit of lemon zest on top as garnish right before serving.