Red velvet cupcakes are a staple in Valentine’s Day baking, but have you ever infused your recipe with pomegranate juice? We can’t get enough of these POM velvet cupcakes by Zahira of Eventus By Zahira. They look yummy enough on their own, but topping them with cute little hearts is… well… the icing on the cake! Check out this sweet recipe and make your own cupcakes and frosting for your loved ones.
POM VELVET CUPCAKES
(makes 12 cupcakes)
— 1/2 stick butter, softened
—3/4 cups sugar
—1/2 tsp vanilla extract
—1/4 cup buttermilk
—1/4 cup pomegranate juice
—1 tsp red food color
—1 cup flour
—1/2 tsp salt
—1/8 cup cocoa powder
—3/4 tsp baking soda
—1/2 Tbsp white vinegar
VANILLA BEAN POMEGRANATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
—1 stick butter, softened
—1/2 cup shortening
—1 tsp vanilla
—4 cups powdered sugar
—1/2 tbsp milk
—2 tbsp pomegranate juice
—1 vanilla bean, split and scraped (optional)
—1/2 tsp pink or red food coloring (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat in the vanilla and egg.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the buttermilk, pomegranate juice, and food coloring.
4. In another separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder.
5. Add the buttermilk mixture and flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately, mixing until well-combined. Stir in the baking soda and vinegar.
6. Pour the batter into the cupcake liners. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. To make the frosting, cream together the butter and shortening. Beat in the vanilla, then gradually beat in the powdered sugar, half at a time. Add in the milk, pomegranate juice, and vanilla bean, and beat until well-combined.
8. Cool completely before frosting.