Mid-summer seems to be the time when all you crave is something icy cold to compensate for the heat wave. When this happens, you have a choice: you could go for something decadently creamy, like a big bowl of chocolate sauce drizzled ice cream, or you could opt for something refreshing and light, like these peach basil popsicles.
Now, the original idea was to pair the peaches with mint. Doesn’t that sounds like a wonderful treat? But what happens when the supermarket is out of mint? You improvise. Strawberries and basil are often paired together to create a delicious dessert or sweet bruschetta. So why not combine peach and basil? With a little preparation, you can have summertime in your freezer. Take one out to cool off on a hot day or to bring a little sunshine to your taste buds on a rainy day.
Recipe adapted from Je suis alimentageuse’s Strawberry Raspberry Popsicles
— 5 peaches (choose white-fleshed for a more subtle flavor or yellow-fleshed for a peachier flavour)
— 10 leaves of basil (about 2 sprigs)
— 2 tablespoons raw honey (or agave nectar to keep it vegan)
1. To peel the peaches, prepare a pot of boiling water and an ice bath.
2. Using a sharp knife, gently cut an X shape into the bottoms of the peaches.
3. Blanch the peaches in the boiling water for about 40 seconds or until you start to see the X on the bottom expose a bit of the flesh.
5. The skin should easily peel away from the fruit. Slice the fruit, and blend in a food processor or blender with the basil leaves and honey.
6. If you like your fruit pops chunky, only pulse until you get the desired consistency. If you like puréed pops, keep blending until smooth.
7. Divide among popsicle molds, add popsicle sticks, and freeze for at least 3 hours.
8. Remove from molds by running lukewarm water over the outside. Enjoy!
What’s your favorite treat to cool down with in the summer heat?