Today, we’re thrilled to have Nina of Niner Bakes sharing an easy, fun recipe with us! We absolutely love these pretty pastel cupcakes. They’re simple and perfect for spring! And the best part? You can use this fluffy marshmallow frosting to top any of your favorite cupcakes. Top your thick swirl of frosting with pink pearl sprinkles, and you have the perfect pastel inspired treat.
VANILLA CUPCAKES WITH FLUFFY MARSHMALLOW FROSTING
VANILLA CUPCAKE INGREDIENTS:
—2 1/2 cups flour
—1 tablespoon baking powder
—1 cup milk, room temperature
—1/2 teaspoon salt
—2 egg whites + 1 whole egg, room temperature
—2 teaspoons vanilla extract
—1 1/2 cups sugar
—4 ounces (1 stick) butter, room temperature
—1/2 cup heavy cream
NOTE: Take out your butter, milk, and eggs a couple of hours ahead of time so the ingredients reach room temperature.
STEP BY STEP VANILLA CUPCAKE INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees / 180 Celsius and prepare your cupcake pan with the cupcake liners of your choice.
2. In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a pitcher or medium bowl, add the milk, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix everything with a wire whisk.
4. In another bowl, using your handmixer (or electric mixer if you have one), cream the butter first, then add the sugar. Mix on medium speed for about 3 minutes until the butter/sugar mixture is very fluffy and light in color.
5. On a lower speed, add the flour mixture and egg/milk mixture to your butter/sugar mixture. Start with the flour mixture, then beat. Then add the egg/milk mixture, and beat again. Continue those steps, beating after each addition, until the mixture is well incorporated.
6. When everything is well incorporated, continue beating for another minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
7. Take your whipped cream out of the fridge and beat it in a new bowl (preferably a stainless steel bowl that was put in the freezer for 10 minutes before).
8. Do not beat whipped cream until stiff, only until you see that the peaks are just starting hold. They should be soft.
9. With a spatula or spoon, fold your whipped cream into your cupcake batter.
10. Now scoop the batter into your cupcake pan using a measuring cup or an ice cream scoop. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
11. Bake cupcakes in your preheated oven for 14-16 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
12. Let the vanilla cupcakes cool completely on a plate or wire rack.
13. When completely cooled, top with Marshmallow Frosting.
MARSHMALLOW FROSTING INGREDIENTS:
—2 1/2 cups sugar
—6 large egg whites, room temperature
—1/2 cup water
—1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
—1 teaspoon vanilla extract
STEP BY STEP FROSTING INSTRUCTIONS:
1. To make the frosting, combine sugar, egg whites, water, and cream of tartar in a big bowl / bowl of an electric mixer.
2. Whisk until everything is extremely well incorporated and a little foamy. Then set your bowl over a pot or kettle of simmering water and whisk (5 minutes). The sugar needs to be dissolved.
3. To test if the sugar is dissolved, rub a little bit of the mixture between two fingers. You will notice undissolved sugar crystals. Stir a little longer until sugar is completely dissolved.
4. Now, transfer your bowl to a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. You can mix it with a hand mixer, but it will take ages, so I would not recommend it at all.
5. Mix on high speed until your marshmallow frosting forms stiff peaks. This will take about 11-15 minutes.
6. Add vanilla extract and beat again until combined.
STEP BY STEP STYLING INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Transfer the frosting to a large pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip or any other size/shape you like.
2. Pipe Marshmallow Frosting on cooled cupcakes. Note: You can also frost them higher so you get Hi-Hat Cupcakes. As long as the frosting is stiff and solid enough, it’ll hold its shape on the cupcake.
What flavor of cupcakes would you pair with Marshmallow Frosting?