Back to school season is in full swing. While the school supply aisles have been crowded with eager students, I have been busy coming up with different ways to reinvent traditional school treats for our partnership with Sprinkles and Grins, a website brought to you by Betty Crocker & Cake Mate. Over the next few weeks, I will be sharing some of my favorite back to school treats as well as telling you about a great way for you to get involved with Back to School Bake Off!
Leaving an apple on the teacher’s desk simply won’t cut it anymore. Not when you can leave one of these apple shaped cupcakes. Sure to make you the teacher’s pet, these cupcakes use red icing and sprinkles. Add a pretzel stick for a stem and a green candy for a leaf and you’ve got the perfect treat to share with the class.
You will need:
- 6 cupcakes baked inside red cupcake liners
- ice cream scoop
- 5 cups of Red Cake Mate Bakery Icing
- 2 containers of Red Cake Mate Sugar Sprinkles
- 6 Pretzel Sticks
- 3 green gum drops or green spearmint leaf candies
- Squeeze Cake Mate Icing into a bowl. Stick the entire bowl of frosting inside the freezer for approximately 15 minutes to stiffen.
- Once the icing becomes firm, place one “ice cream scoop” of icing on top of your cupcake.
- Pour red sugar sprinkles into a small bowl. While holding the base of your cupcake over the bowl of sprinkles, gently roll the icing in the sprinkles until it is thoroughly coated. Be sure to pat the cupcake gently to make sure the sprinkles stick to the icing.
- Insert one pretzel on top of each cupcake to represent the stem of the apple.
- Using kitchen scissors or a knife, cut a thin slice of a green gum drop or spearmint candy to represent the leaf. The candy is already sticky, so it will stick to your cupcake; however, you can also apply a small dot of icing to ensure the candy will stick to your cupcake.