It’s never too early to start searching for that warm weather recipe you’ll snack on while lounging and working on your tan. Get into “chill out” mode with this recipe for vanilla ice cream bars with pineapple and mango by our contributor Melina of Sugary & Buttery. Both creamy and crunchy, these bars will hit the spot! Here’s what Melina has to say:
“We all can’t wait for summer, right? So lets get your ice cream machine ready and bring the summer to your table! These ice cream bars, made with homemade vanilla bean ice cream, are topped with tropical mango and pineapple puree – hello sunshine! The tropical fruitiness paired with the velvety rich vanilla bean ice cream is so divine. And let’s not forget the graham cracker crust, which adds delicious buttery crunch to every recipe. You can of course use store-bought, ice cream but I strongly recommend the homemade version – if you have an ice cream machine.”
VANILLA ICE CREAM BARS WITH PINEAPPLE AND MANGO
—3 cups of vanilla bean ice cream
—1/3 cup pureed mango
—1/3 cup pureed pineapple
—2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
—1/2 stick melted butter
1. Prepare a 8×8 inch baking dish by lining it with parchment paper.
2. To make the crust, mix the graham cracker crumbs with melted butter. Pour the mixture into the baking dish and firmly press it down using a pie or coffee tamper.
3. Pour the ice cream over the crust and spread evenly. In case you are using homemade vanilla bean ice cream, use the ice cream right out of your ice cream maker before freezing it. If using store-bought ice cream, take it out of the freezer about 30 minutes in advance. The ice cream needs to be soft, but not melted.
4. Pour the mango puree over the ice cream and carefully swirl it using a fork. Pour the pineapple puree on top and swirl or spread.
5. Place the ice cream in the freezer for at least 2 hours, then cut into bars and serve.