Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowls
If this isn’t the perfect fall dinner, we don’t know what is! Abby Capalbo is back on BFFF today to give us some serious dinner party inspiration and share her hearty pumpkin soup recipe. Even though we are fans of anything pumpkin, this soup is absolutely amazing! It’s perfect to serve for a small party or even a dinner of two. Plus, how cute are the individual pumpkin bowls?! Check out Abby’s recipe and picture perfect dinner below!
HEARTY PUMPKIN SOUP RECIPE
- Small pumpkins (for serving)
- 1 ½ (15 oz) Can Pumpkin Puree (or 1 medium pumpkin)
- 3 cups chicken
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoons ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pureed
- 1 Yukon gold potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ heavy cream
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare small, serving pumpkins by cutting off the top and scooping and cleaning the insides. Then prepare the larger, cooking pumpkin preserving the insides to use in the soup.
- In a small bowl, combine spices with ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
- Sprinkle this mixture into the serving pumpkins. Roast pumpkins (tops on) for 30 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the soup. In a dutch oven, heat butter along with olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and remaining salt and pepper. Cook until onions softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, careful not to burn. Add diced potato, pumpkin, chicken, stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft.
- Ladle soup into each small pumpkin, and serve.
Recipe and Styling for Best Friends for Frosting by: Abby Capalbo, Abby Capalbo
Photography for Best Friends For Frosting by: Erin McGinn