Today I am sharing one of my favorite cookie recipes for Neapolitan Sugar Cookies. You may have seen these cookies recently displayed in our Neapolitan Dessert Bar. For those who know me, Karen’s Cookies Basic Rolled Sugar Cookie Recipe is my favorite go-to sugar cookie recipe, and my mother-in-law loves it too. The cookie never fails to keep its shape, and it is so delicious. Over the past five years, I have never let a year pass by without making them.
Fun fact: The Fluffy Strawberry Buttercream Frosting these cookies are filled with is one of the very first frosting recipes I ever developed. Chocolate jimmies seal the deal on these pretty cookies. We got these pretty pink and white treat bags from the The TomKat Studio Shop.
Karen’s Cookies Basic Rolled Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup superfine sugar or granulated sugar, processed in blender or food processor for 30 seconds
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. almond extract or emulsion, optional
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour.
- Cream butter, sugar, and salt until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes with mixer set at medium speed (see Dough Preparation and Baking tutorial for more information on creaming times). Add yolk, beat well. Add whole egg, vanilla, and optional almond extract and beat until well-incorporated. Add flour; beat at low speed just until flour is mixed in; do not over mix. Divide dough in halves or thirds and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, at least one hour and up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Dust work surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll dough to 1/4″ thick, sprinkling with additional flour as needed to prevent sticking. Cut into desired shapes and place on parchment or silicone-lined pans. Bake in preheated oven until cookies appear dry on the surface and are light golden brown on the edges, about 10 minutes (very large cookies may take up to 12 or 13 minutes). Remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks and cool completely before decorating.
Fluffy Strawberry Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup strawberry preserves
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Beat butter with hand mixer for 3 minutes until fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.
- Add strawberry preserves and beat until incorporated.
- Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Mix until frosting is fluffy with medium peaks.
Photography by Chantel Elder of Eleakis & Elder Photography