Meet my one of my FAVORITE frosting recipes in the whole entire world, this Egg Nog Frosting!! Seriously, if you’re looking for the best Egg Nog frosting ever, this one is it! Every Christmas Eve we go to Andy’s family’s house to have all kinds of holiday fun! Usually I bring cookies, but this year I decided to step it up and bring my favorite holiday drink (egg nog) converted into my favorite part of cake- frosting!
As I was creating this frosting recipe, I reflected on how it’s the most wonderful time of the year! There is something about the holidays that makes me over the moon excited. I know I’m definitely not alone. Maybe it’s all the nostalgic smells of cookies baking in the oven or the bear hugs you get from certain people you only see during the holidays. Whichever way you slice or dice it, the holidays have been some of the happiest times of the year for me. I love going out with hot chocolate to look at Christmas lights, decorating the tree to Christmas music, having some “me” time while indulging in my favorite treats while wrapping Christmas presents and blasting the music – let’s face it! The holidays are the best!
Speaking of traditions and memories, I know that smell is one of the strongest senses, and there’s nothing better than having your family come home to those wonderful smells coming right from the kitchen. I once met a real estate agent who told me he put cookies in the oven before every open house he’s ever had.
PS. Fun fact: I made this recipe with fair-life ultra-filtered milk. I especially loved using this with while baking because it offers half the sugar and 50% MORE protein than regular milk. And yes, I must repeat- this is one of my FAVORITE frosting recipes! ;)
- FOR HOMEMADE EGGNOG:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup fairlife whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- FOR EGGNOG FROSTING:
- 2 sticks room temp butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cups homemade eggnog
- pinch of salt
- HOMEMADE EGGNOG
- Add cream, milk, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla to a small pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in a separate bowl and whisk until smooth and light in color.
- Once you see bubbles on the surface of the ingredients in the pot, add a small amount of the mixture to the yolk/sugar bowl, whisking constantly, to begin tempering. Repeat until the whole milk/cream mixture is added to the yolk/sugar bowl, whisking constantly.
- Once all ingredients are in the yolk/sugar bowl, add back to the pot and while whisking constantly over medium heat, bring to 160 degrees, roughly 4 minutes.
- Pour into a pitcher, cover with plastic wrap, and place in fridge until fully chilled.
- EGGNOG FROSTING
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, add all butter and beat on high for 4 minutes, scraping the bowl once light and fluffy.
- Add 4 cups powdered sugar, eggnog, and salt to mixer and mix on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase speed to high until frosting is smooth.
- Add more powdered sugar if needed to get desired consistency.
This post is sponsored by fairlife ultra-filtered milk.
fairlife’s farm families promise the highest quality milk, environmentally sustainable farming practices, and superior animal care. fairlife is ultra-filtered for more natural protein and calcium compared to regular milk. Learn more at fairlife.com