On the hunt for the perfect holiday dessert? This red tart cherry delight recipe is such a festive and easy treat to make for any occasion this holiday season.
PIN Red Tart Cherry Delight for Later!
How is it already December?! I love being able to soak in every minute of the holidays, but this year it feels like it’s just flying by! December is such a festive month, and I’ve been trying to do something fun most days for the kids. From a festive snack to a holiday movie night, we are filling each and every day with something special!
Recently we’ve pretty much finished decorating the house – if you guys have been following along on Instagram, I started my holiday décor shopping months ago. ;) Since then, I’ve definitely been in the mood to bake! One of my favorite desserts during the holiday season is cherry delight. It’s not only super easy to make, but I LOVE the festive colors! Anything that can add a festive touch to the party table is my absolute favorite. Even if the holidays are going to be different this year, it doesn’t mean you can’t go all out on a dessert spread like you used to!
Ingredients for Cherry Delight
This recipe is SO good! For the crust, you’ll need graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, and melted butter. For the filling, you’ll need cream cheese, a tub of whipped topping, and powdered sugar. Then for the topping, you’ll need cherries (I love using Oregon Red Tart Cherries), cherry juice reserved from the can, and granulated sugar. This dessert is ready in no time, and is definitely such a festive treat!
How to Make a Graham Cracker Crust
First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, and melted butter. Once mixed, press into the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish to form the crust. Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
How to Make Cherry Delight
While the crust is baking, mix cream cheese with a mixer until smooth, and then mix in powdered sugar for 1-2 minutes. Then fold in the whipped topping with a spatula by hand, and make sure you do not over mix. Once the crust has completely cooled, you can spread an even layer of filling on top. Once the layer is on, refrigerate for 2-3 hours until it sets.
For the topping, use a small pan to mix reserved cherry juice with 2 cups of sugar. Cook on high and reduce in half until liquid thickens. Let this cool, and then add the syrup to the cherries and mix. Cut the dessert into squares and top with red tart cherries. Now, it’s ready to be served!
During the holiday season, I want to make everything with holiday colors. Being able to bake desserts that are not only delicious but also festive makes me so happy! You’re definitely going to want to save this recipe for your holiday celebration. No matter what you’re doing or where you’re going, these red tart cherry delight squares are going to be a showstopper! I especially love that since these don’t take too long to make, I can jump right back into whatever holiday activity we are doing that day. I bet whoever you end up making these for, whether it’s your family or friends, will be asking for these again from you next holiday! Do you have a celebration coming up that this red tart cherry delight recipe is going to be the perfect addition to? I’d love to hear all about it in the comments below!
Red Tart Cherry Delight
For the Crust:
- 2 and 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup melted butter
For the Filling:
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 8-ounce tub whipped topping
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
For the Topping:
- 2 14.5-ounce cans Oregon Red Tart Cherries
- 1 cup cherry juice reserved from can
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, and melted butter and press into the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish to form the crust.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes. Make sure to cool the crust completely before adding the filling layer on top.
- In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with a mixer until smooth, and then mix in powdered sugar for 1-2 minutes.
- Fold in whipped topping with a spatula by hand. Do not overmix.
- Spread the filling in an even layer over the crust. Refrigerate for two to three hours until set.
- For the topping, in a small pan, mix reserved cherry juice with 2 cups of sugar. Cook on high and reduce in half until liquid thickens. Let cool. Add the syrup to the cherries and mix.
- Cut the dessert into squares and top with Red Tart Cherries.